Tips for avoiding an automobile accident
We have all been in a situation where a driver on the road is giving us signals that they could cause an accident. Although laws have been passed in some states and it is known that being on the phone and driving is prone to causing accidents we still see drivers on the phone. Driving defensively and brushing up on defensive driving techniques can help you identify and avoid future accidents.
The following tips are learned tips from drivers going cross-country and in city traffic.
- The Fast Lane – Although you may be in a hurry, driving in the fast lane versus driving in a center lane or shoulder limits escape routes should trouble arise.
- Watch Your Blind spots – Many cars today inherently have blind spots more so than in the past. This now requires you to have to scan your mirrors more often. While scanning, try to keep in mind vehicles that could be entering your blind spots.
- Hands on the steering wheel – Getting too comfortable can put off your reaction time when an accident is about to occur. Rather than leave your hands at the 12 o’clock position, try keeping your hands at a 9 and 3 position. This gives you the quickest ability to turn when needed.
- What kind of car is the other driver driving – It may seem obvious, but if a driver near you has a car that looks like it has had damage from accidents, chances are that they are more prone to accidents.
- Keep your car in good shape – It is a good idea to inspect your car periodically to make sure that major components are good for driving. Even the best of tires can catch a nail or begin to form a bubble in the wall of the tire from a brush with a curb. This simple tip can avoid a future blow out.
If you are in an automotive accident in the Chester County area, feel free to contact Karp Hart for FREE consultation to review your options.